Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lines Written Upon Feeling a Warm Breeze on My Face for the First Time This Spring





Don't put me in the Narrow Bed
When at last I lay my head...

If dust -- as chimney sweepers must--
Then in the air my mettle rust --

The wind to blow upon the bones
A melody of cheerful tones,

The sun to warm a cooling heart...

A feast of CULINARY ART
For worm and grub and bug and crow...

For Pete's sake, better lay me low!

Pickle and stuff my empty shell --
Just save me from the maggot's hell!



This started out as serious thought, but even I recognize how bad it was, so...voila: Compost Tea (of me).

Happy Poem in Your Pocket Day!

10 comments:

  1. I like the feast of culinary art/compost ~ The rhyming couplets are delightful to read ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely rhythm and rhyme... I especially like the 2nd and 3rd couplets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice connection between the title and a the maggot's hell ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha - who wants to be with the maggots when spring just started....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we talking snails here?
      Let's get the blighters.
      Warm breezes in sharp contrast to evil weevils, ants, slugs, earwigs......
      Ah well, the rough with the smooth.

      Delete
  5. Don't lay with the maggots for this was not bad and I enjoyed the rhythm and the take on the prompt. Thank you for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Just save me from the maggot's hell!" Amazing what a warm spring breeze will produce. You made it work. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odd when you think of it, maggots are good for humanity until they grow to be fly's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes you just have to go where the poem takes you! The last couplet made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I'm moving through your posts backward, so I just came here from the serious, poignant poem about the teen in $100 jeans at the bus stop, which moved me quite a bit. Now I go back to mow with a silly grin. Not today, crows and buzzards...you will have to wait to dine on this one :-)

    ReplyDelete